Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Shots (not the inebriating kind)

In our nursing skills lab Monday it was shot day, (not the day when we all kick back and reminisce about our youth over a couple of shot glasses.) The result of this? We were all hyperventilating and pre-hypertensive watching our instructor brandish the inch and a half needle like it was a spear. We all put on our brave faces, acting like it didn't matter to get punctured but it showed when she asked for a volunteer. Suddenly the tiled floor became much more interesting and all eye-contact was abandoned. When one of us poor suckers submitted ourselves to be the dummy, she stepped forward as a soldier to battle while we all looked at her in awe. The most interesting part was the deltoid shot. Our instructor jammed that needle in with such gusto I was sure that it would never be removed from her arm and the dummy would forever been stricken with the disability of dreaded "permanent-needle-in-the-arm". As we partnered off and I looked at my partner nervously, hoping she had practiced proper sterile technique on the solution prepared, I couldn't help but chuckle to think of what an anesthetist's school was like and what they had to practice. Can you imagine giving a shot in the femoral vein...which is located RIGHT next to the groin? I guess that's how friends are made in any health care profession. Therefore, I will always look back on Jessica Gibbs, my friend, who gave me a shaky but powerful shot right in my backside.

No comments:

Post a Comment